Monday, December 27, 2010

December Recap - Part 3

I attended two book groups this month.
The first was with my girls for a youth book group.
My awesome neighbor/friend/home schooler
put together a book group for the
youth in our neighborhood and close friends of her kids.
The books they choose are generally classics, and always include a great discussion.


This month we read:

I know the story well, but don't remember ever reading it.
It was delightful. A great way to really feel the Christmas spirit.


The second book group I went to is a ladies neighborhood group that was started this year.
It has been so fun to get to know
the lovely ladies in my area.
The book we read was:



and actually, I only read the first few chapters. I ordered it online and rushed the shipping. I thought I gave myself plenty of time to read it, but it arrived the day before the book group.
What I did read though I found to be a little weird.
It is the story of Mary and Joseph from a close up and personal point of view. The author was trying to point out that they were normal people too. I may eventually read the whole thing, but it is not on the top of my list.



I am the Co-Head Room Mom for Kenna's Class.
For the "Winter" Party the kids did little projects for
3 main holidays they've been learning about.

Kwanzaa- they made toe puppets
Hanukkah- they made the star of David
Christmas- they painted little self-portrait tree ornaments.

It's been fun to get to know the kids and
spend some time with my girlie.






We ventured out to Temple Square to see the lights.
BAD, BAD, HORRIBLE idea.
We went 2 days before Christmas and it was packed!
Clint wonders why we choose to do things
that everyone else just happens to be doing?

Wow, sorry to sound like Scrooge, but it was just not fun.
The kids, (well 3 of them anyway) were whiny, tired, cold, sick.....and on, and on.......

We had a hard time moving around and did not even consider going into the visitor centers.

I love to go in and see the statue of Christ,
but we figured we'll come back another less
crowded time for that.
We lasted about 10 mins. and left.
Next year we will go the day after Christmas....

3 comments:

Pedaling said...

the day or so after christmas sounds like a good plan for light seeing.
we never made it out to see them this year.
Kwanzaa? really?

Tricia invited us over for the book club event...just couldn't get it together and get the book read with bay...not sure with my new calling, how i'm gonna get any extra books read for our own club this year. i'm kinda worried about that.

Snap said...

I know Kwanzaa, weird. I wasn't in charge of the party just there to help. Their teacher felt that since there are a few African-Americans in the class it would be interesting to learn more about it. I'm sure it was new to them too though.

Anny said...

We went a couple of days after Christmas and it was horrible! Very crowded. I tried to show my little ones the statue of Christ but there were so many bodies in that room, I couldn't convince them there was a statue in the room. Argh!!!